Tuesday, November 7

Fall Into Reading Challenge Update

I have been a reading fool and have finished most of the books on my Fall Into Reading Challenge list already. I’m actually surprised by this because until I signed up for this challenge, it had been taking me a really long time to read books. I think that it might be because I gave the books that I wanted to put on my list some serious thought and if I can say so myself, I picked some good ones!

My updated comments/reviews are in italics

The Kitchen God’s Wife by Amy Tan (I actually have to finish this book by October 8th because it is due at the library on that date and I’ve already renewed it once). I have loved everything that I've read by Amy Tan and this was no exception. In addition to being entertaining, her novels provide me with insight into Chinese culture, customs and customary relationships within the family – especially the relationship between mothers and daughters.

Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron I am working on week one on my path to higher creativity. I have already seen a positive impact!

A Love Like No Other: Stories from Adoptive Parents by Pamela Kruger and Jill Smolowe I just finished this book the other night. It is definitely one that I will read again. Each of the adoption stories was so touching. I was most impressed that the authors wrote with such honesty regarding their family and their feelings.

The Mommy Manual: Planting Roots That Give Your Children Wings by Barbara Curtis (I’ve been reading Barbara’s blog off and on for a few months and after reading the glowing reviews on Amazon today, I put the book on hold at my library!). I LOVE THIS book as much as I love Barbara’s blog! In fact, I just ordered it from Amazon yesterday. It provided me with some very sound advice, plenty of humor and a serious reality check. This is one of those books that I will read several times and I believe that I will probably get something new out of it each time.

Beyond Good Intentions: A Mother Reflects On Raising Internationally Adopted Children by Cheri Register (I have requested that my public library purchase this book. Hopefully they will before December!). I had two weeks to read this book as it was on loan from a library outside my public library system. I finished it well within the two week limit! I read Cheri’s book that was published in 1990 called "­Are Those Kids Yours: American Families with Children Adopted from Other Countries" in early 2002 while we waited for our referral for Emily. I was so excited to see her publish this book, in which she discusses some of the pitfalls that may befall well intentioned parents of internationally adopted children (like me!). She uses a combination of her own experience as the adoptive mother of two now adult daughters adopted in Korea in the 1980s as well as the experiences of adult Korean adoptees from around the world to examine ten common pitfalls. I just ordered it from Amazon because I know that I will read it several times as I try to do my best parenting my daughters.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Both my girls love Pooh, so I’ve decided that I’m going to read a few pages to them each night before bed.) Of course this was loved by all in our house!

The Tale of Despereaux: being the story of a mouse, a princess, some soup, and a spool of thread by Kate DiCamillo (I’ll start this with Emily after we finish Winnie the Pooh with Mia and I’ll find another book to share with Mia. Hopefully, it will be available at the library by then.) We’re picking this up at the library today. Emily is excited to get started on a “big girl book” with Mommy!

I am going to add the following to my reading list:

Women of the Silk by by Gail Tsukiyama

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan