Monday, April 9

Word of the Day

I love to read and I love to write, so I love words! When I find a word that I don’t know, I love the thrill of looking it up to find out what it means. And, with online dictionaries and encyclopedias, it is so easy to look up a new word!

This new word that I uncovered yesterday sounds like the kind of word that you would see in that game Balderdash!

The word is…bildungsroman, pronounced: bil-du[ng]z-rO-"män

Any guesses? Scroll down a bit to find out!


















It is a German word meaning a novel about the moral and psychological growth of the main character (from Merriam-Webster online dictionary).

I noticed bildungsroman when I was adding a few new books to my wish list on my library’s website. The genre includes the following books that I just added to my reading list: White Oleander and Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Wikipedia provides a more detailed explanation of this genre, including extensive lists of books published pre-1930 and post-1930 in this genre. I might be adding a few more books to my reading list!

And, that’s your new word lesson for the day from the House o’ Glamour!